Dear Friend of Limburg and Flanders,
While the world is going through difficult times because of the COVID-19 virus, the same goes for Limburg in Belgian Flanders. But the situation is becoming more positive, and measures are being relaxed. Below is a summary of the most relevant information:
- Shops, museums, historic buildings, monuments, castles, and zoos have been opened since the 18th of May.
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars reopened on 8th June and can stay open until 1 am (at the latest). Safety measures are in place including having a secure distance between tables, providing a waiter table service for food and drink only, allowing a maximum of 10 persons per table, and waiters are obliged to wear a mouth mask.
- Daytrips and travels within the country were also made possible on 8th June. As of 15th June, Belgium has opened its borders for travel to and from the European Union, and other European countries including the UK and the four Schengen countries (Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Iceland, and Norway). Decisions about traveling outside Europe will be taken at a later stage.
- From 1st July onwards, cultural activities and performances are allowed again with social distancing remains in force. A maximum of 200 people will be allowed to gather and wearing a face mask is recommended. Amusement parks and cinemas are also entitled to reopen their doors from that moment on, also under strict conditions.
- Mass gatherings such as festivals and other events with large crowds remain prohibited until 31st August.
- Meanwhile, the public and visitors are always advised to abide by certain basic rules, such as washing hands regularly and keeping a social distance. In public transport, the wearing of mouth masks is compulsory for anyone 12-year plus.
- If you are planning a trip to Flanders in the near future, please consult your local government’s advice or contact your tour operator for the most up-to-date information, relevant to your stay.
- If you require more in-depth information on the Covid-19 situation in Belgium, please click here to consult the official website of the Belgian federal government.
Current information and inspiration can also be found via VISITFLANDERS social media channels.
We hope to welcome you soon, with twice the heart, love, and hospitality. You are most welcome!
VISITFLANDERS and BELGIAN LIMBURG CONVENTION BUREAU (BLCB)